About St Denys' Church
The East Window
Lady Dyer Tomb
The Green Man
Click on any of the images to find out more about that part of the church
In 1428 Sir Gerard Braybrooke made a will in which he asked to be buried in Colmworth where he was Lord of the Manor. He added a codicil the following year changing his burial place to St Paul's Cathedral, London. Without doubt he had become ill suddenly and St Denys' Church was not finished. This leads us to think that the church was finished after this date with a little more haste and so there are some clues to its earlier origins.
When you enter the church, there is a filled doorway above the entrance door, indicating there should have been a room over the porch. Where such rooms exist, they are usually for the use of visiting priests and for keeping records.
Inside the chancel, the south window immediately on the right, has been squashed in and looks out of keeping with the low chancel south door alongside. Beyond the next window there is a twelfth century piscina set in the wall. Look to the north side and the door to the vestry has low proportions with an arch which has been changed at some time. All of this suggests that the lower part of the chancel is of an earlier date than the higher perpendicular windows.
Further the wooden roof carvings - the green man and his boss friends and wooden apostles - appear to predate the 1420s and would be from a much earlier church. So perhaps an original roof was added back to the new structure.
All very intriguing….